Monkey Stories

The Hundredth Monkey…
A bunch of monkeys are taught how to do a certain activity. By the time a hundred monkeys have learnt how to do it, the rest don’t need to be taught. Why is that?

The monkey species has a shared information space, a bit like the Internet. At a critical point of common usage, the data becomes available for all the monkeys to download from the information space. It may not be exactly the hundredth monkey, that is a number used to illustrate the point. But at some critical number, the balance tips, and the information and skills no longer need to be taught, they are automatically passed on.

This was observed by Japanese scientists studying monkeys who learnt to wash sweet potatoes. Other monkeys learnt by observation and repetition. Then the skill spread to some monkeys on another island, even though there had been no cross over of monkey populations! Wikipedia discredits the research, as they do with anything that might make us look outside of our fixed ideas.

The hundredth monkey syndrome applies to the human species too. Rumour has it that the critical point is around 15% of the population. So when enough people are consciously aware of the control that is going across the planet, and start practising resistance to the control, the remaining 85% will pick it up automatically.

The Five Monkeys…
This is another monkey story to illustrate how we got to this point of being so controlled. I have lifted it from elsewhere.

Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, you’ll see a banana hanging on a string with a set of stairs placed under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, all of the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water.

After a while, another monkey makes an attempt to obtain the banana. As soon as his foot touches the stairs, all of the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. It’s not long before all of the other monkeys try to prevent any monkey from climbing the stairs.

Now, put away the cold water, remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him as he makes his way toward the stairs. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked.

Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana.

Why not?

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Monkey Stories

  1. george silver says:

    Do you think God was sprayed with cold water each time someone wanted to pick the “forbidden-fruit”?

  2. george silver says:

    “Your comment is awaiting moderation”. Is Suli frightened of being sprayed with cold water?

    • suliwebster says:

      I don’t see myself as very fearful compared to most, but I probably have some inbuilt fear of being sprayed with cold water, metaphorically, that stops me doing things. I like to think that as I become more aware of how the system works, and how it got to be like it is, I become better at overcoming the roadblocks on my path.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s